British Airways Executive Club members can now earn up to 200 tier points by spending £25,000 on the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card.
This is the first time British Airways Executive Club members have been able to earn tier points outside of flying. Previously, tier points could only be earned by flying with British Airways, its subsidiaries or its oneworld airline partners.
Being able to earn tier points via card spend gives applicable members more opportunities to earn status and unlock travel perks such as lounge access, fast-track security, extra luggage allowances and priority boarding.
As of today, British Airways American Express Premium Plus cardmembers will be eligible to earn up to 200 tier points as follows:
- 100 tier points if the cardmember spends £15,000
- A further 50 additional tier points will be awarded if they spend a further £5,000 (totalling £20,000)
- A final 50 tier points will be awarded if they spend another £5,000 (totalling £25,000)
On hitting the required spend, tier points will be transferred over to the cardmember’s BA Executive Club Account at the same time as Avios are transferred over each month, which is six days prior to their statement date. For example, a cardmember who hits the £15,000 spend threshold on 1 January, and has a statement date of 10 January, would see 100 tier points transferred to their BA Executive Club account on 4 January (six days before their statement on 10 January).
This is a limited-time offer, that opens today and will run until 21 May, 2024. Cardmembers must enrol for the offer in their online account (enrolment closes on 20 May 2024) and must complete spending before the offer expires.
Each tier status comes with a variety of travel benefits, including:
- Bronze – requires 300 tier points – benefits include free seat selection seven days before flying, priority boarding, the use of business class check in desks and more.
- Silver – requires 600 tier points – benefits include access to airport lounges in the UK and around the world, free seat selection at booking, additional baggage and more.
- Gold – requires 1,500 tier points – benefits include access to First lounges, first class check in and boarding, free seat selection at booking, additional baggage, additional reward flight availability and more.
Colm Lacy, British Airways’ chief commercial officer, said: “Over the last year, we’ve introduced lots of improvements to our Executive Club loyalty programme. We expanded our Reward Flight Savers programme to 100 per cent of the network last December, enabled members to use their Avios towards a British Airways Holidays booking in February, and introduced Avios-Only flights in April. Making Tier Points available as part of everyday spend is just the latest step in rewarding our customers more than ever.”
Meanwhile, Nikki Edelman, vice president at American Express, said: “We’re always looking for ways to continue rewarding our cardmembers for their loyalty, with offers and benefits they care about. We hope today’s limited time offer achieves this, providing customers with a new proposition; being rewarded for spending on the card with tier points. This could see cardmembers earning travel benefits like lounge access, free seat selection or priority boarding from their everyday spending.”
British Airways American Express Premium Plus cardmembers already benefit from collecting 1.5 Avios for every £1 spent on purchases, or 3 Avios for every £1 spent with British Airways or British Airways Holidays.
Cardmembers can also earn a companion voucher when they spend £10,000 on their card each year. They can use this to either take a companion with them on the same flight and in the same cabin for no additional Avios or, as launched last year, receive a 50 per cent discount on the Avios price if travelling solo.